Philosophy

Best grapes are the result of a series of different components all of which lie in the hands of the winemakers themselves. They need years of experience, be up-to-date when it comes to technical knowledge, have a true passion for their vocation and a natural intuition for the vines, the soils and the climatic requirements of each vineyard. Here is where they can show their full potential.

“It’s actually pretty easy to make a powerful wine with an alcohol content of 14% vol. The tricky part is to produce a wine with only 12% without losing all the beautiful features it has gained in the vineyard like fruitiness, finesse, elegance, density and minerality.” – Martin Nigl

Vineyards

Region

Our vineyards account for the quality of our wines and are located on the best spots between Senftenberg and Krems. Set in terraces you can find them on the hills along the Krems stream right in the heart of the Kremstal valley as well as in and around the wine town of Krems.

We mainly cultivate two grape varieties, Grüner Veltliner and Riesling. Together with Sauvignon blanc and Muscatel these white grape varieties make up for 90% of our overall cultivation area. Zweigelt, Pinot noir and Merlot, three red grape varieties, make up for the remaining 10%. We follow a strict environmental programme based on sustainability developed by several Austrian Ministries.

Climate

Most of our vineyards belong to the south-eastern foothills of the Bohemian massif and consist of primary rock soils. Weathered granite, gneiss, mica schist and amphibolite present in these soils account for the wonderful mineral flavours of our wines.

The microclimate of the narrow Kremstal valley plays a major role in how our wines taste. Great differences between day and night-time temperatures foster a multitude of complex flavours that settle in the skins of the grapes.

Harvesting is a matter of many weeks. We usually go through each vineyard several times making sure that only the ripest grapes are picked each time. This is how we can guarantee best source material for best wines.

A winegrower tries to orient himself in complex environs of geology, microclimate and cosmic influences. For this orientation, the sundial and the compass – the main symbols of the Traditionsweingüter´s Logo – are the most traditional tools. The position of the sun and the seasons of the moon as well as the field of tension between day and night play an important role.

 

– The Seal of the “Österreichische Traditionsweingüter”

Traditionsweingut – Traditional Austrian Winery

We are members of the Österreichische Traditionsweingüter – the Association of Traditional Austrian Wineries.

Cellar

In the cellar winemakers really need to know their craft. They have to have a perfect knowledge of how to handle the grapes. This requires utmost hygiene, care and delicacy. Fresh and aromatic white wines are filled into steel tanks, while our First Growth wines are left sur lie in big wooden barrels for a year before being carefully bottled.

Weingut Nigl
Winery · Hotel · Restaurant
Kirchenberg 1
3541 Senftenberg
Austria

 

Phone: +43 2719 2609
Fax: +43 2719 2609 4
E-Mail: info@weingutnigl.at

 

March – December: Mon-Sat, 11.00-17.00
January – February: Mon-Fri, 11.00-17.00

Outside business hours you can purchase our wines at the restaurant.

Newsletter